Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Morning-Madness Marathon!

Do you remember when waking up in the morning was a some-what leisurely activity?  I look fondly upon the days when I could roll out of bed an hour or so before having to be at work and I could take my time in the shower, carefully put on my make-up, and actually enjoy a cup of coffee before rushing out the door.  Since our little man arrived, the morning routine has turned into a race. I refer to it as the "Morning-Madness Marathon".  Most mornings, my husband leaves for work around 6AM, so if I get out of bed on time there is a good possibility that I am well on my way to being ready for work by the time he leaves.  However...that does not happen too often! LOL!

The average morning for me is spent rushing through the shower, and constantly peeking out of the shower curtain and looking at the baby monitor to make sure that the baby isn't screaming.  All you Moms out there know exactly what I am talking about - no matter how quiet things are, whenever you are in the shower you hear those phantom cries.  To help myself cope with the "phantom cries" I always have the baby monitor in the bathroom.  I digress...  I always have the goal of being completely ready for work by the time the bambino wakes up.  Most mornings, I can get as far as my make-up and be about half-way finished with my hair before he starts his wake-up routine.  Luckily, he is at the point where he can hold his own bottle and feed himself, so I can lay him on his boppy pillow and he will go to town on his bottle.  This gives me about 10 more minutes to finish putting myself together.

By the time, the regular song and dance is finished I have just enough time to hit the button on the Keurig a couple of times to fill my travel mug and then I run out the door to get the little man to daycare in time for breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast - you may be wondering if I eat breakfast or not...  Since I didn't mention it, one would assume not, but here is another working mom survival tip. Tip #2 to Help Juggle Work and Kids:  Make breakfast easy!

Every other week or so I spend an hour during the weekend making breakfast for the next two weeks.  I will put together a huge batch of breakfast burritos, wrap them individually, and freeze them.  Then in the morning while I am running out the door, I can toss one in my purse and heat it up when I get to the office. Doing this saves me a whole heap of time and they are super yummy!

Here is the pinterest post that inspired me:

2 comments:

  1. Phantom cries! Yes! I sucked at this marathon when I had to get us all going in the morning too. Even now (no more work and daycare to rush to) still don't get breakfast most mornings! I definitely need to try to make stuff ahead. Would be especially good for the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. English muffin sandwhiches freeze well too! I make them with wheat muffins and turkey bacon. They end up being about 250-300 calories (depending on if I put cheese on them). Its a great way to stay on track for the day!

    ReplyDelete