Thursday, March 28, 2013

Life's A Dance

Yesterday I had an early morning meeting out of town, so I had a 2 hour drive right away in the morning.  I know many people that hate traveling for work.  Frankly, I enjoy it.  I find it rather relaxing to be alone with my thoughts for a couple of hours.  I also enjoy being able to crank-up the music and just zone out for awhile!

My secret shame is listening to 80's and 90's county... I know what you might be thinking..."she actually likes that twangy sound?!".  Yes I do!  Older county music has a storytelling element to it that you don't find in modern day county.  Something about it speaks to me or maybe I'm a secret redneck! 

The song "Life's a Dance", by John Michael Montgomery came on and I started reflecting on some of the lyrics and relating it to parenting.  He says "Life's a dance, you learn as you go.  Sometimes you lead and sometimes you follow.  Don't worry about what you don't know.  Life's a dance you learn as you go".  These lyrics could not translate any better to parenting.  In terms of becoming a parent - you can read as many books as you can get your hands on and take every class offered , but when that little baby comes into the world most soon realize how little they actually know about child rearing and that most things they thought  would work for them get thrown straight out the window!  While pregnant, I spent so much time worrying about what I didn't know and what I should expect about labor, delivery, and taking care of a newborn, but when it really came down to it I just had to roll with the punches.  Clearly I didn't plan for a 43 hour labor or to have a baby with reflux, but we just had to go with it and learn as went along. 

J.M.M. goes on to say "There's a time to listen, a time to talk, and sometimes you have to crawl even after you walk" and "been knocked down by the slammed door, picked myself up and went back for more".  So true!  Every time my husband and I think we have our little man figured out he throws us a curve-ball and we have to figure him out all over again. As a new parent, sometimes it can feel so defeating to not know what to do or it's just plain overwhelming, but the only thing to do is to keep on going in the hope that things will get better.  Speaking from experience, things to do get better!  I was covered in spit-up for months, and thought that I would never see the light at the end of the tunnel, but everything gets better with time. 

Granted, I have only been a parent for 8 months, but I have changed, grown, and learned so much in that short amount of time.  Sometimes I feel like I am a shadow of my former self and that as a parent I know myself much better than I did before having a baby. 

My advice to everyone out there - Parenting is a "dance" that no one can do perfectly.  Most of us were scared when the "music" started and looked pretty terrified and even silly at times while learning, but everyone catches on eventually! 

No comments:

Post a Comment