Friday, May 3, 2013

Self-Proclaimed Queen of Leftovers: Part 2

If you read my post from yesterday you might be wondering how I came to be the Queen of Leftovers.  Well lets take a few steps back in time. So gather around children... It's story time!

"Once upon a time, in a land not so far away, there was a girl who was spending way too much on groceries.  By way too much I mean $100+ a week and still eating out.  After closely examining her family budget, she realized that they were hemorrhaging money on food.  So she decided to make a change.  She started meal planning.  Every day of the week had a meal assigned to it.  A shopping list was made accordingly and impulse purchases at the grocery store were prohibited.  The first few weeks were hard, but after awhile the girl got the hang of things and her family adjusted to eating all of their meals at home. After a few months, the girl and her family realized how much more money they had and the rest is history." 

The moral of this story is that leftovers save money.  You might be thinking "duh...of course eating leftovers saves money".  I mean it - eating leftovers saves tons of money!  I spend roughly $50 a week or less on groceries including produce and my family eats 3-meals a day.  So lets do the math... That's 21-meals for $50.  That breaks down to about $2 a meal!  Over the course of time that is a huge savings!

Clearly a person does not have to take things to the extreme like I do.  It's OK to eat out once in a while and I will admit that every now and then my husband and I sneak in a lunch date at one of the local restaurants.  We just don't make it a habit.  I mean really - a meal  for two people at a restaurant runs about $20.  That is nearly half my weekly food budget!

So do a little math ladies (and gentlemen).  Find out how much you are actually spending on groceries and challenge yourself to spend less.  The savings really add up over time!


Stay tuned for more tips and tricks from The Modern Day Juggler!

No comments:

Post a Comment